Assessment of data stewardship in Latin America and the Caribbean
National Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INDEC) of Argentina
Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística (DANE) of Colombia
Statistics Division of ECLAC
Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) of Boliva
Instituto Nacional de Estadísticas (INE) of Chile
Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos (INEC) of Costa Rica
Oficina Nacional de Estadística e Información (ONEI) of Cuba
Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI) of Mexico
Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) of Paraguay
National Institute of Statistics and Informatics (INEI) of Perú
Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) of Uruguay
a) General objective
Make progress in the definition of a regional concept of data management in order to propose
enabling elements for its implementation and mainstreaming by NSS, particularly NSOs, taking into
account the particularities, challenges and different starting points of the countries of Latin America and
b) Specific objectives
- Establish the core aspects of the concept of data management and its applicability in the countries of the region.
- Assess the forms and conditions of access of NSOs to administrative records and other data sources external to the institution, and identify the most common access mechanisms, based on the work already done (Generic Law on Official Statistics for Latin America, Working Group on Institution-building, among others).
- Create spaces for dialogue at the regional and intraregional levels (through virtual or face-to- face seminars) to exchange perspectives on the concept of data management in the region and to consider the best available experiences and practices.
- Establish proposals for actions to move towards the implementation of data stewardship in the various national contexts, examining the ethical frameworks of official statistics.
- Create recommendations on the conceptualization and translation of data management to facilitate greater understanding and possible implementation in the region.
- Contribute to the mainstreaming of the concept by commenting on the documents resulting from the work of the working groups adopted for the 2022–2023 biennium.
- Determine the relationship between data management and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.